It is believed that the birthplace of pancakes - Russia, but other countries claim this title: kataef - Arab pancakes - this confirmation. And in fact: pancakes, cooked according to this recipe, resemble traditional Russian yeast pancakes. That's just a filling for pancakes is a bit unusual - custard. The recipe for cooking such pancakes with custard I found on the YouTube channel video. I decided to share it with you - soon the Shrovetide week and delicious, melting in the mouth sweet pancakes will appreciate both old and small.
For the test:
- 1 cup of flour;
- 1 cup of milk;
- water - 0.5 cup;
- sugar - 1 teaspoon;
- dry yeast - 0.5 teaspoon;
- baking powder for the dough - 0.5 teaspoon.
- 1 cup of milk;
- 1 glass of cream;
- starch - 4 tablespoons;
- water for diluting starch - 3 tablespoons;
- white bread without crust - 3-4 pieces;
- sugar - 3 tablespoons;
- 0.5 tablespoons of perfume - rose water and orange water;
- Pistachios ground (for decoration).
Arabian pancakes with custard. Step-by-step recipe
- The custard should be prepared in advance. In the saucepan mix milk, cream, add 4 slices of bread (1 cm thick), finely crumbled or grated, and sugar.
- To thicken, we need starch: we dilute it with a small amount of cold water and mix it.
- We put the sauté pan on the fire and heat the milk mixture until all the bread is gone (all the pieces of bread must dissolve).
- When the milk begins to soar, gently, with a thin trickle, pour in the diluted starch, stirring constantly.
- Warm the mixture further with constant intensive stirring until it thickens.
- We pour the cream into a separate bowl, let it cool down and add perfume - half the tablespoon of rose water and the water of the orange blossom. Stir well until completely cooled. Cover with a film (it must touch the surface of the cream, which prevents the formation of crust). We clean in the refrigerator for an hour (if possible - better clean at night).
- We prepare the dough for kataefs immediately before baking them.
- In warm water, add dry yeast and sugar, mix and let stand for 5 minutes (to better saturate the yeast with water). Then mix the whisk until the yeast dissolves completely.
- We add a glass of milk and flour mixed with a baking powder, mix the whisk so that there are no lumps (as well as ordinary pancakes). After kneading, leave the dough for 15-20 minutes so that the yeast is activated (wait until the dough rises, it is not necessary).
- We bake pancakes in a dry frying pan with non-stick coating, pour so much dough, so that the pancakes were about 9-10 centimeters in diameter. We bake on one side: on the other hand, the pancake must become dull, without a single wet patch (do not overdo it !!!). We arrange hot pancakes separately, so that they do not stick together. When cool, you can stack a pile.
- Ready to put the cream in a clean file folder (you can use a confectionery syringe), cut off the corner and with it we will fill the tubes from the pancakes.
- Of the pancakes, we make the tubules with a half protective (fold them in half and patch them half). Each tube is filled with a custard, sprinkled with ground pistachios and served to the table.
Ready-made pancakes in Arabic with custard are served with freshly brewed tea. As an option as a filling you can use sweet cheese or nuts (any, to your taste). The site "Very tasty" wishes you a pleasant appetite and invites you for new recipes for Shrovetide. And be sure to try the finest pancakes in milk and the recipe for the finest pancakes with holes - incredibly delicious!